Mental Health - Community Nursing Program
To provide community based nursing support for people with severe and complex mental health care needs.
We work collaboratively with carers, families and other agencies to deliver recovery based mental health.
This service is available in Griffith, Leeton and Narrandera.
- A better experience of care with stronger coordination of services and supports.
- Help to reduce distressing symptoms.
- Support to improve functioning and work towards goals.
- Support to stay well and out of hospital , through better access to care and support.
How can the mental Health Nurse help you?
The mental health nurse will work closely with you, your general practitioner and/or psychiatrist to support you to stay well and feel good.
The type of care provided will be led by you and follow goals and activities set in your Mental Health Treatment Plan.
The mental health nurse will:
- Get to know you and build a trusting partnership
- Work closely with your family and carers
- Work with you to review your mental health progress
- Advocate for you
- Assist with medication support and monitoring
- Provide information about your physical healthcare and assist you to manage other health conditions (eg. diabetes)
- Maintain close contact with you, your doctor, and/or psychiatrist through meetings and case conferences
- Support you to get help quickly if your mental health deteriorates
- Work with you to develop a relapse and recovery plan
- Help you to access other services by making referrals and helping you to attend appointments
To be eligible you must
- Be aged 16 plus
- Experience a severe mental illness (a severe mental illness may cause disruption to you personal, social and/or work life)
- Be supported by a general practitioner (GP) or psychiarist
- Not need ongiong support from the Community Mental Health Team (occasional contact and support is okay)
- Have been hospitalised in the past, or are at risk of being hospitalised in the future
How to access the program
The following people can make a referral on your behalf:
- General practitioner (GP) or psychiatrist
Or provisional referral by:
- Team Manager or Clinical Leader of the Murrumbidgee Local Health District (MLHD) Community Mental Health Team
- Manager of a Community Managed Organisation and member of the Murrumbidgee Mental Health Drug & Alcohol Alliance (MMHDAA)
Forward completed referral form to the Murrumbidgee Primary Health Network Central Intake Team:
Fax: (02) 6921 9911
Phone: (02) 6923 3195
The Mental Health Community Nurse program is not designed to provide crisis interventions. If you are in need of immediate support please contact:
000 - Emergency Services
1800 800 944 - Mental Health Line
24/7 Free Call
The Service Operates
Monday to Friday, 9.00am to 5.00pm
To find out more about the program
Phone 0417 453 670
This service can outreach to Griffith, Leeton and Narrandera
Centacare South West NSW gratefully acknowledges the financial and other support from Murrumbidgee PHN. The Primary Health Networks Program is an Australian Government Initiative.